Monday, March 28, 2005

That's why they play the game

Before the Pakistanis came to India, a friend remarked to me that we'd be #2 in the ICC test rankings if we beat Pakistan 2-0. It was a casual, off-hand remark and I just wondered (in my mind) if it was going to be that easy. Turns out that it wasn't. In case you were six feet under, Pakistan beat India on the final day and won the Bangalore test match, squaring the test series.

That's why I love rivalry games. All the records get thrown out of the window. All the questions about talent, the hype, all that goes when the players play. And because it's a rivalry, it brings out the best in everyone. It happened when India went to Pakistan last year and it happened when the Pakis came here.

From an almost certain losing position in Mohali to an unlikely win in Bangalore (which by the way sucks as a venue for India!), the Pakistan team has come a long way.

I'm sure the Indian team's performance will be dissected by just about everyone so I'll spare you the innards.

I hate to say this but hats off to the Pakistanis. They wanted it more. They got it. The one-day series should be a dog-fight from the way the test series went.

Good for cricket, not so good for Saurav Ganguly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home