Thursday, March 24, 2005

Page 3

I saw Page 3, the latest Madhur Bhandarkar movie about a week ago. (If you haven't heard of it, Page 3 is Bhandarkar's take on the Page 3 culture that is prevalent in the "high society" in India.) I had heard good things about it, the review was good, so I expected a good movie.

I was disappointed. This probably had more to do with my expectations than with the movie, but I also feel that the movie had let me down.

The movie unfolds (mostly) through the eyes of Konkona Sen Sharma (who was as usual, brilliant), a recently graduated journalist who works the Page 3 beat. We meet her attending a party and then the movie follows her life as a journalist and her personal life, with sub-plots of the roommates, her editor, and so on.

The movie would've been great if it hadn't tried to tackle too many things. The script lost focus by trying to do too much. After watching the movie, I came away feeling lost about what the writer and director were trying to convey. There were a few good moments and some subtle touches that I liked, but overall, I was disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home