Sunday, March 20, 2005

A Few Bad (Auto) Men

I got into a terrible shouting match with an auto driver today. I had to go to a house-warming ceremony somewhere near Marathahalli and I showed him the directions, told him the name of the place and asked him specifically if he was okay with coming there. He says Yeah. Then, about two kilometres from the place, he starts saying (in Hindi of course), "I thought you said that it was near the airport. This is NOT Marathahalli," and so on.

Good thing I'd looked at the auto meter and figured out when we went away from the main road. I told him I'd pay him whatever the difference was for him to get back to the main road. That quiets him for a while and then he starts grumbling about the road. By this time I'm pissed. I got into a shouting match with him and then I asked him to stop. I tell him that I have to pay him Rs. 10 extra. He says, You said Rs. 15. At this point, I'm simmering with anger and I walk away in a huff to get some change. I give him the change and he is still truculent. I walk away, noting down his number. Maybe I'll still file a complaint. Anyone know how to do this?

The thing is that most auto drivers that I've travelled with (and I have travelled a lot in autos) are quite good. There are a few idiots like the one I encountered and these idiots give the rest a bad name.

This is one of those things--you don't remember the good people, you remember the bad. Dissatisfiers I think they call them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home