Thursday, December 01, 2005

Stand Book Festival

Books, loads of books. You'll end up with a pain in your neck, from the craning, and your legs will hurt, from the standing. You'll probably find yourself at the checkout counter with books that you didn't expect to find, at prices that will blow your mind. Well, some at least. You'll also have to exercise restraint because those titles, they'll try to seduce their way into your book basket. There, I've warned you.

I've been to the Strand Book Festival/Fair/Sale for the last three or four years. One year I didn't buy anything. Last year I got Emotional Design at a good price. Every time however, I've never enjoyed the experience. Till yesterday.

This time the book fair is in the cricket stadium. You'll have to climb some stairs but it's worth it. There is a huge selection and if you're a book lover, you'll be drooling, so take a bib along. I spent quite a while and barely glanced through some sections. If you're a Dave Barry fan, you'll find paperbacks at good prices. I think there's something for everyone.

Here's a note from Strand's website about the book festival:

The Book Event of the Year !
The STRAND BOOK FESTIVAL
Upto 80% off
This time at the
CHINNASWAMY CRICKET STADIUM
(on MG Road, P2 Hall)
Upto Sun 11th DEC
Incl.3 Sundays
10am - 9pm
Main entrance Gate 1, Queen's Road.
Unlimited Free Parking: entrance from MG Road, opp St. Mark's Cathedral

If you're not in Bangalore, well tough luck. Actually, I didn't know this but it looks like you can buy books from Strand's website as well. (Strand Book Stall)

I got some good deals and good books. Heck, maybe I'll even go back. The force is strong with this one.

5 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Shrilatha Puthi said...

Yes, it's good collection.. thanks to u for letting us know :-)

The place was over-crowded when i visited there yesterday, may be b'cos it was weekend.. they should’ve arranged for the bigger place.

I was searching for Oscar Wilde books, didn’t find any..

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Percy said...

BTW, I saw a collected works of Oscar Wilde, in Blossom, if I am not mistaken.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger samudrika said...

I dont know about other cities but Strand Book store has book fairs in Mumbai too. Twice in a year actually!

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, interesting. I figured that they'd have fairs in Mumbai, but had no idea that they'd have two every year. I am not sure about other cities though--Bangalore and Mumbai are the two cities they do have stores in, Hyderabad doesn't have one.

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiii
This is mani here. Its very nice to read about the strand book stall. Am Working in a company called Seraja Technologies Pvt. Ltd. And its an EventWeb. And i would like you to visit our site to get more inormation about Strand Book Stall. We have got so many images and video's of Strand book stall Exhibition which held in Chinnaswamy Cricket Stadium.
If you are really intrested to know then please mail me to "maniraj@seraja.com".Right now our site has been launched only for Alpha Test. And we will give u an invitaion to visit our web.
So please reply me sir.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home