Friday, January 07, 2005

FloodAid -- A concert for raising funds

Thermal and a Quarter, Bangalore's best known rock band and Antaragni (another popular rock band) came together on Tuesday night at the St. John's Auditorium to rock and raise funds for the Tsunami victims. They raised a decent amount considering that the event had minimal publicity (lack of time).

For those that haven't heard of them, Antaragni is a wonderful band with a nice folksy feel. I first saw them at Alliance Francaise and was blown away by the violin and acoustic guitar combination. Of course, the lead singer's (Raghupathy Dixit) voice is just amazing. He's got this voice that "comes from below the gut", as someone who was at the concert with me described. Antaragni played about five or six songs and every time I see them I wonder when their album will come out so I can buy their music.

Thermal and a Quarter, well, I first heard them at a Deep Purple concert, was impressed with them, especially Bruce Lee Mani (the lead guitarist). I've seen them a few times after that and they've always been impressive. Bruce's combination of lead and rhythm is so effortless (he sings the lead vocals too), he makes it seem simple. It's not.

TAAQ is such a tight band, you know that's come with loads and loads of practice. It's a great band to listen to from bass guitar, to drums, rhythm and lead, and vocals--it's a treat to listening to them. Little wonder then that they have a loyal following in Bangalore. It's time for them to break out.

All this when I was just lamenting to some friends about Bangalore's (lack of) live music scene. Give me more of this live music stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home